Saturday, December 15, 2012

Jurassic Survival 1.8.1 and Final Presentation

game: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71737496/JurassicSurvivalv1.8.1/index.html

Overall this class was a great learning experience and taught me a lot about game design.  I would have liked to have more programming in this class as it is an upper division CSCI course.  Learning basic javascript was not enough to quench my thirst.  I would like to have looked at some complicated open-source games if any such things exist and take them apart, looking at all the code, how it is structured, what are some clever tips to implement tricky things in certain games like random generated dungeons and path finding.  I would have liked to have spent less time working on the story and documentation and more time making games.  If I ever got into the real industry I would just like to be working on the underlying code and fixing bugs rather than thinking of new character models and thinking about how to present it to the public.  I was expecting a game programming class not a game programming/design class.  It was still a great experience to take a look at all the game engines and learn javascript.  

I would say that I enjoyed the mobile programming class more than this one.  The calculator assignments were challenging and taught me a lot.  I really appreciate the simple calculator apps we have on our phones now.

As for the next steps in my game I can't really continue on in construct 2, but if I were to continue developing it I would look into an engine that is great for mobile platforms.  I would like to keep my game 2D and lightweight so that it doesn't heavily drain the battery life on mobile devices.  I can really see my game being made for mobile devices as it is really fast paced and easy to get into, without taking too much time to finish a game.


No comments:

Post a Comment